Monday, June 11, 2012

Keep it Clean

When I stepped out of the cab onto the cobblestone street, I looked around, absorbing everything I could from the buildings around me. I was so caught up in the scenery that I almost bumped into an older woman who was heading in the direction of my apartment. I followed her, hoping she was a resident of the same building so that I would not be forced to wait outside in the street. As she unlocked the door of my apartment building, she turned around to face me. Excitement caught her eyes as she began to speak enthusiastically. . . in fluent Italian. She hugged me eagerly and I heard one word that I recognized completely: Rachele, my name in Italian. This had to be my landlady, Norma. It was a miracle she knew who I was when she had never even seen a picture of me. Nonetheless, she ushered me inside. We climbed the stairs together as she continued to speak in Italian, confusing me entirely. I could not understand a word she was saying.


We came to a door a few levels up, but it was unlike any residential door I had ever seen. It was identical to its rectangular form, but the paneling was true wood, not a typical composite of plywood as in the United States. The centralized handle was large. Norma pulled forth a beautiful antique key and opened the door. One panel swung inward, allowing one to remain in place. I felt like it was a secret passage at J.K. Rowling's Hogwarts.
When we entered, I was told the door to my immediate left was my bedroom. I was not to have a roommate, but a space to myself. I entered, taking note of a desk, wardrobe, dresser, and a gorgeous window that hinted at Juliet's balcony. However, instead of a bed, there was a tall ladder stretching up to the beamed ceiling. As I climbed, I realized that my bed was a loft. I could not believe my luck; I had always wanted to live in a space like that.
I returned to the kitchen, where I met my first two roommates. Brittney and Allie had been there for at least a week and knew Florence well. They had planned several trips around Italy already and graciously invited me to come along. I was thankful that I had sweet roommates who were also interested in traveling. I had been worried that I would not have anyone to travel around with. As we chatted, Norma continued to speak in Italian, but I discovered that neither Brittney or Allie could understand her either. I felt a tad less guilty that I had not learned the language beforehand.
Norma's son Paolo arrived to translate for her and I received the generic welcome to the apartment, including do's and don't's, keep things clean, do not make too much noise, clean up after yourself, keep things clean, take care of the apartment, KEEP THINGS CLEAN. I realized that Norma was an Italian from the elder generation, where family and home cleanliness are of the upmost importance.
PONTE ALLE GRAZIE! -
ON THE WAY TO ACCADEMIA ITALIANA
Once I had settled in, Brittney, Allie, and I headed over to Accademia Italiana to figure out our schedules and speak with them about my lost luggage. The twenty minute walk was breathtakingly beautiful. We passed several shops and restaurants, ending at a beautiful array of bridges over the river that reminded me of Pittsburgh (though much more beautiful). We crossed Ponte Vecchio and arrived at the university. Down a red carpet and up a spiral staircase, we met our correspondences for the past few months. Denise and Francesca were even more beautiful in person and could not have been more helpful. We received our class schedules. I learned I had a product design studio on Mondays and Wednesdays from 9:30 a.m. until 1:30 p.m., while on Tuesdays and Thursdays I had an architectural history course from 9:30 a.m. until 12:30 p.m. I was thrilled not to have classes on Fridays, granting me an extra day of travel. We spoke about my luggage situation, as well. Denise called the airline and spoke with them on my behalf. Unfortunately, my luggage had not yet been located. Denise arranged for my bag to be delivered to the school, taking Brittney's phone number for a means of immediate contact. I felt almost desperate to receive my bag. How was I supposed to adjust when all my things were missing?
After grabbing a slice of piping hot pizza, we returned to the apartment, giving me time for a much needed nap. When I awoke, I decided that I would venture myself to a local grocery store. Billa was only about two blocks away. I struggled a bit to read the food labels, but I settled on a few basic items and was shocked to see that my bill had only amounted to about 23 euros ($28). I had anticipated a much higher bill for groceries each week, so I was pleasantly surprised. 
After my first experience on my own, Brittney accompanied me to H&M, a cheaper store that we recognized from America, in order for me to pick up a few inexpensive items to hold me over until my luggage arrived. Unfortunately, we found the store ten minutes before it was due to close. Everything I needed was on the bottom or above floors, leaving me to make due with the first. I had five minutes to grab a few things and get in the check-out line. Luckily, everything I selected fit me well. 
HOMEMADE RAVIOLI! :)
When we finally got home, I made my first home-cooked meal: ravioli. I was rather impressed with myself for doing so well with a gas stove. It was, in fact, delicious, but I wished I had thought to buy spices in order to make the dish more flavorful. The sauce I had selected was just okay, but I did not do too bad for my first try.
Overall, my first day in Florence was quite the whirlwind, but I absolutely love it. Once my luggage comes, I am sure that I will be truly having the time of my life.


MAKE IT COUNT - R.M.S.

1 comment:

  1. ahh blogger ate my first comment!
    okay....trying to remember it...
    lost baggage SUCKS! i hope they find it and send it back to you ASAP. In the mean time, enjoy H&M Italia!
    norma sounds freaking cuuuute. i picture an italian version of kathleen who flings open her kitchen windows every morning and leans out singing some crazy italian phrase to the waiting world. she then proceeds to hang her linens on an outdoor line.
    you best be taking pictures of everything including the architecturally significant door and your bedroom! i have always wanted a lofted bed like that!!!

    ReplyDelete