Monday, June 4, 2012

Farewells and Peanut Butter

Well, after months of anticipation, the day of my flight has finally arrived. Realizing that in a matter of hours I will begin my journey seems surreal. I have never been more excited in my life. For the first time, I will have an experience all my own. A new language, fresh tastes, and beautiful surroundings set the stage for a wonderful chance of personal development and growth. With an apartment in the heart of Florence, I will have the opportunity of a lifetime to study interior and product design in the mother country of architecture. Let the adventures begin!


Having never been outside of the United States, I am compelled to bid everything that I have ever known farewell. My suburban home, my school, my job, my close-knit family, and my friends. The parting is bittersweet for me, filled with anticipation for my upcoming adventure but also sadness that those I love and admire will not be by my side. My parents arranged a Going Away Party for me this past weekend in order to illustrate goodbyes, but instead of sad I found myself happier than I had ever been. Though many tears were shed, I felt blessed, honored to be in the company of such wonderful people. It further lifted my spirits when I remembered the countless others within my campus community. They have all had an impact on molding the person I am today, whether through inspiration, encouragement, or unconditional love. As I go abroad this afternoon, I will wear that love as a ribbon across my heart, taking each and every one of them with me.


ITALY - CAN YOU SEE IT? :)
MY IAR GIRLS :)





STEELER FAMILY :)











Although I am ultimately  looking forward to an entire new culture, there is one thing that I may struggle with. I may be forced to give up my absolute favorite food - PEANUT BUTTER. I eat peanut butter several times a day, whether put on toast for breakfast, on a piece of fruit, or just out of the jar. According to others who have traveled abroad, peanut butter is almost a delicacy in Europe, making it nearly impossible to find or priced incredibly high. I hope to find that this assumption is false, but only time will tell. Perhaps I will find a new favorite "spread." Somehow I see Nutella in my future!


MAKE IT COUNT - R.M.S.

1 comment:

  1. Good Luck, Rachel! Can't wait to read more about your time in Florence! <3

    ReplyDelete